TEXASGULF HISTORICAL MARKER INSTALLED MARCH 27, 1997
  THE GULF SULPHUR COMPANY BEGAN IN MATAGORDA COUNTY
IN 1909, AND IN 1918 CHANGED ITS NAME TO TEXAS GULF
SULPHUR COMPANY.  A PLANT WAS BUILT AT THE BIG HILL
DOME, AND THE FIRST SULPHUR WAS PRODUCED IN 1919.  A
COMPANY TOWN WAS CREATED AND NAMED GULF, TEXAS
  NEW RESERVES OF SULPHUR WERE ACQUIRED IN WHARTON
COUNTY, WHEN THE TEXAS GULF SULPHUR COMPANY BEGAN
OPERATIONS ON THE BOLING DOME IN 1928.  A NEW COMPANY
TOWN WAS ESTABLISHED NAMED NEWGULF. THE TOWN CON-
TAINED BUSINESSES, MORE THAN 350 HOMES, A SCHOOL,
LIBRARY, HOSPITAL, MOVIE HOUSE, GOLF COURSE AND COUNTRY
CLUB. BAPTIST, METHODIST, CATHOLIC AND PRESBYTERIAN
CHURCHES BUILT SANCTUARIES.  NEWGULF POST OFFICE BEGAN
SERVICE IN OCTOBER 1928 AND ENDED SERVICE IN
MARCH 1994.
  TEXAS GULF SULPHUR PRODUCED IN EXCESS OF
80.8 MILLION LONG TONS FROM THE BOLING DOME,
TO MAKE IT THE LARGEST SULPHUR PRODUCTION  MINE
IN THE WORLD.   TEXAS GULF WAS ACQUIRED BY A FRENCH
PETROCHEMICAL CORPORATION IN 1981.  SULPHUR PRODUC-
TION CEASED IN 1993, AND THE TOWN OF NEWGULF WAS
DISMANTLED, IT WAS AMONG THE LAST COMPANY TOWNS
TO EXIST IN TEXAS.
 
 RETURN